Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Upcoming Video Games

Today I'll be sharing my thoughts on a few (you guessed it) upcoming video games. First up is Elder Scrolls Online. I'm really conflicted on this one. Elder Scrolls has always been a single player series, and in my opinion, always should be. A lot of the things about it that I love so much are things that I can't see translating well to an MMO. I just read about it in Game Informer and it looks cool, but I don't think it'll be the same TES that we all know and love. But it still has the potential to be Fus Ro Dawesome - I cannot believe I just said that. I like making bad puns for the sake of making bad puns, but that one ... ok. Wow. Anyway, the article on it made it look pretty cool. If you haven't heard (or even if you have; I suppose you don't have much choice here unless you want to skip this next little bit), the plot involves Molag Bal and Manimarco the Worm. You probably recognize those names as the Daedric prince who gives you the sweetest mace in the game in both Oblivion and Skyrim, and the Necromancer king from Oblivion that you fight for the Mages Guild. Oh, and it also involves an ancestor of Jagar Tharn, a name which should sound familiar if you played Arena. But to me, it seems like they took the plots of Skyrim and Oblivion, mashed them together, and switched out Mehrunes Dagon for Molag Bal and Whatshisname Tharn for the Imperial Legion dudes. The creatures and environment and stuff looked new, exciting and just generally cool though. So again, I'm conflicted - which is a semi-decent segway into the next game on my mind. I'm divided on whether or not I'm excited about the Spider - Man reboot movie, but the game is a different story. This game looks awesome. From what I've seen, the Rhino will be in it, the Iguana will be in it, Spider Slayers (Alistair Smythe style, not Spencer Smythe) will be villains, and I heard Stan Lee will be a playable character in one DLC pack. Same with Rhino, but if I had to choose, I'd probably go with Stan the Man. But anyway, this game looks like an Arkham Asylum / City equivalent for Spider - Man! The combat system is going to be similar, there are going to be stealth options along with straight-up beating on people, the player is free to roam the city at will, stopping minor crimes and so on. And I'm betting the upgrade system works similarly since the Arkham games were so good and the makers of the ASM game are trying to do that for the Webhead. I sincerely hope they succeed. And now for the last Game (that's a hint) of the day. Game of Thrones. If my information is accurate, it came out today. And I, as you no doubt have guessed, (am Morpheus) have not yet bought it. If you recognized the Matrix quote before I finished it, I respect you more than I did before you read this post, even though you're probably someone I've never met, and I have no way of knowing who knew what I was referencing and who didn't. And if that doesn't warm your heart, I don't know what will. But back to the Game of Game of Thrones, it looks good. It's set in the GoT universe with two new playable characters. One is more of a strong and tough fighter, the other is mostly a more agile and fast type of guy, but within these archetypes, there's room for customization. For example, the tough guy can be either a knight who specializes in dual wielding weapons, using a sword and shield, or a big two handed weapon. Or you can combine these three classes by upgrading skills from different skill trees. It has a couple new features, like active pause, which means that to make fighting seem more real, you can't truly pause the game during combat, but you can slow down time to decide your next move. Well, that's it for now, but expect a post about the Avengers movie in the relatively near future. Unlil then, over and out.

No comments: