Thursday, June 21, 2012

Thor

Thor has to be one of the coolest guys in the Marvel multiverse. I even think my least favorite version of him, which is Ultimate by the way, is awesome. And I know a lot of people like Ultimate the best, but he has no helmet, his Mjolnir is completely wrong, his tunic doesn't look as cool, and he's part of the Ultimate universe, which I don't like nearly as much as the mainstream universe. But even he's cool. Thor is a god who kills stuff with thunder storms and a hammer! What about that isn't awesome?! I liked the movie, but it could have been awesomer. I mean, it was a good movie, but he pretty much only has two fight scenes, one near the beginning and the other near the end, and spends the rest of the movie as a mortal. But there were a couple subtle things that they put in there for true hardcore comic book guys like myself. There's a scene that starts with the camera in the air looking down on the city. In the city, there's a billboard with an ad for some kind of travel thing or something, but at the bottom, it says Journey Into Mystery. That's the title of the comic book series that Thor first appeared in. It wasn't until later that Journey Into Mystery, featuring the Mighty Thor was replaced by The Mighty Thor. And the other thing is when they're walking through the Asgard trophy room where that blue ice cube weapon was, and if you look closely, you can see that one of the items in there is the Eye of Harokin. It's a magical artifact that was used in a few Tales of Asgard stories. If you haven't read the old Thors, you should know that after the main story in each issue, there's a shorter story titled Tales of Asgard, and that sometimes they were independent of one another, but sometimes a few of them connected to tell a larger story. The one with the Eye of Harokin was one of those. Anyway though, I have yet to carefully rewatch that scene and look for more familiar items.    -abrupt subject change-     Loki is a great villain. He has character, depth and in the earlier stories before his promotion from god of mischief to evil, his crazy schemes were kind of funny. I'm a little bit sad to say that if I were in his position, I would probably do similar things. For example, turning cars into ice cream and stuff like that. Not to mention that he has one of the best villain lines ever. Seriously. Ever. You ready for this? Are you? Make sure you're ready. I'm not sure if you are. But that's largely because I can't perceive you in any way while you read this. But ok, are you ready? Stop reading if you're not ready for this terrifying, petrifying, mortifying, stupefying line. I admit I was stalling a little bit, but that was to give you time to psyche yourself up for this line. Some people probably got tired of my time wasting and either went to go do something else, or just skipped ahead, but if you made it this far, I applaud you. Really. Well done. But even you're probably wanting me to just tell you the line already, so here it comes. Without further delay (this time I'm not lying), the line is .............. "Begone, pidgeons!" Yep. And he was actually saying that to pigeons. So, after all that buildup, are you satisfied or really disappointed? Now that I think about it though, a good bit of the disappointed group probably left this page as soon as they read the line. So thanks for either appreciating it, or fighting through your disappointment to figuratively hear the rest of what I have to say. And I say figuratively because you can't actually hear my words unless you copy and paste this whole post into one of those programs that says whatever you type into it. And if you have been or are going to do that, then that's awesome. Figuratively see you later.

No comments: