Saturday, April 7, 2012

Game of Thrones

Last night, I finished watching the 1st season of Game of Thrones on DVD, but I don't have HBO, so I can't watch season 2 until it comes out on DVD. That vexes me. I'm vexed. It's a really cool show and it reminds me a lot of Lord of the Rings and Skyrim. There are a few subkingdoms within the main one, some parts of the land are snowy, others area foresty , and other parts are very dry, and also there are undead creatures called White Walkers that are basically Draugr. I can't really make any direct comparrisons like those to LOTR, but they kill people with swords and stuff, and there's just something about it that reminds me of Tolkien. Well actually, they created a language for it, so that's a similarity. Except instead of a language for the elegant elves, it's spoken by the barbaric, nomadic Dothraki. And also, there are dragons, so yeah, that's a plus. If you've read the books but haven't seen the show, go watch a couple episodes. It's pretty loyal to the original story. Or if you haven't read or seen any, I'm sorry, the dragons in it don't actually come until the last episode, so that's a small spoiler, but it was heavily forshadowed, so you would have figured it out on your own. But anyway, the world itself is really cool, since it has various fictional cultures and peoples, and each one incorporates elements of a lot of different real cultures, so you can't really place any of them, except as what they call themselves and each other, like Dothraki or Wildlings or the Men of the Night's Watch. Though the Night's Watch isn't really a culture, but it's close enough.

No comments: