Thursday, December 19, 2013

Paul Rudd as Ant-Man

I've been waiting to see who gets to be Ant-Man, but I'll be honest - this isn't the news I was hoping for. Paul Rudd has been cast as Ant-Man, and I won't pass my final judgment on whether or not I'm ok with that, but my first impression is negative. It's nothing against Rudd; its because Marvel has cast an actor known for comedies as Hank Pym. At least it's Hank Pym and not Scott Lang, who was rumored to be the protagonist. Scott is cool, but I've never considered him to be the main Ant-Man. THE Ant-Man is Hank Pym, a very dark and fairly disturbed character, and they've cast a comedic actor to play him. Now do you see my problem with this? From what I've heard, this movie will be one of the more comedic Marvel movies, which is just straight-up wrong. Spider-Man is funny. Deadpool is funny. In a really twisted and dark way, even the Punisher can be kinda funny. But Ant-Man? Ant-Man is not funny. Funny is like this:
Not funny is like this:
And Hank Pym isn't like
He's like
 



If they want a funny Marvel movie, why don't they Just MAKE A DEADPOOL MOVIE ALREADY! There's even a script ready to go as soon as they get the green light! (More on that later.) Anyway, people make the argument that you can't take a guy seriously when he shrinks down to tiny size and talks to ants. I see their point, but mustn't reduce his identity to his power. Hank used  his own brain patterns when creating Ultron, an extremely powerful indestructible robot who wants to exterminate the human race, so Hank is responsible for thousands if not millions of deaths. Is that enough, or do you want more? How about the guilt from his creation of Ultron leading him to insanity, clinical depression, and his relationship with the Wasp becoming gradually more abusive until he beat her and they split up. It's some heavy stuff, man. Anyone who thinks Ant-Man can't be a serious character clearly needs to go read some comicbooks. I'm not saying I think the movie will be bad though; I'm looking forward to it. I'm just disappointed that it's probably going to be a comedy. Just like how I think Iron Man 3 made the third and fourth worst plot decisions for a comicbook movie ever (the second worst being Deadpool's treatment in X-Men Origins: Wolverine and the absolute worst being revealing Judge Dredd's face in the Stallone movie), but my net opinion of the movie remains positive. My only other issue with this is their timing. I'm pretty sure Ant-Man won't come out until after Age of Ultron, which means they'll change Ultron's backstory, which wipes away a huge piece of Hank Pym's identity. If nothing else though, a movie will make people see that Ant-Man can be cool, which is something I think needs to happen. I'm skeptically optimistic if that makes any sense. Let's just hope Disney doesn't mess this up.

No comments: